For more information please contact:
Calvin at 734-572-9355 (Ypsilanti)
Alia at 313-446-9800 EXT. 819 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org (Detroit)
To access the required Michigan Department of Health and Human Services Division of HIV and STD Programs Module 1 HIV Basic Knowledge Training please follow these steps:
- Login or create account
- My training plans *if you have no training plans, go to the search box and enter ‘1059900’
- Go to registration (two tabs from course details) then click launch
UNIFIED – HIV Health and Beyond relies on the hard work and dedication of its volunteers to carry out its mission. The importance of our volunteers cannot be understated. We are very proud of our diverse volunteer corps. We invite you to take a look at all of the various opportunities and encourage you to contact us if you would like more information.
Volunteers can choose to work in just one area of service or can participate in all of the different options available. We feel confident that you will find volunteering at our agency to be a very rewarding and enriching experience. Interested volunteers should fill out the Volunteer Application Form and return it to the Volunteer Coordinator who will get in touch with you within one week of receiving your completed application.
UNIFIED Ypsilanti volunteer trainings are held three times each year (January, May and September) and are held at the Education Center at St. Joseph Mercy Hospital in Ypsilanti. Interested persons should contact Volunteer Coordinators Calvin Dishmon at 734-572-9355 or Alia Onawola at 313-446-9800 or email@example.com for more information
- Training Volunteers are required to attend an orientation and outreach training. In addition, volunteers are required to participate in an interview with one of our Volunteer Coordinators. Periodic volunteer meetings/events are held to provide an opportunity to interact with other volunteers, share challenges and provide support for one another.
- Outreach Vehicle This position takes a strong commitment as other people’s safety may depend on attendance. Volunteers assist UNIFIED staff by promoting education, prevention and awareness. Volunteers distribute safer sex materials and information pamphlets, and educate clients about harm reduction. Directions and location are provided during training.
- Bar Outreach This outreach intervention is especially designed for bars or nightclubs patronized by men who have sex with men (MSM). During bar outreach, volunteers interact with patrons and help distribute safer sex materials, promote risk reduction and inform clients about counseling and testing.
- HIV 101 Health Educators Volunteers will provide HIV presentations to various community organizations. To become certified as an HIV 101 educator, volunteers must participate in two training sessions.
- Office/Administration Volunteers assist staff with essential office duties which may include: helping to distribute mailings, data entry, various staff projects, making safer sex packets, and answering telephones. This is a good position for members who want to contribute but may not feel comfortable in outreach activities.
- HIV Testing Clinic Office/Administration Volunteers will assist counselors with clients who would like to be tested for HIV. Since clients are usually anxious, volunteers help to maintain a comfortable atmosphere, help clients process their paperwork, answering basic questions on HIV and providing information on available community resources.
- HIV Test Counselor Volunteers must successfully complete the Michigan Department of Community Health’s HIV Test Counseling Training. Once you have completed the state’s training, a shadowing process is conducted with current UNIFIED test counselors.
- Special Events Volunteers who work in special events assist in various capacities that may include: the implementation and planning of fundraising events, conducting tabletop information booths at various health fairs and assisting in other community projects that require support.
- The Michigan HIV/STD Hotline: Trained volunteers assist in answering calls on the hotline and direct callers to testing locations and address concerns or questions regarding HIV or STDs.
Click Here To Fill Out Our Volunteer Application Form