Get Involved - Employment
Job Title: Housing Specialist
Reports To: Director of Care Services
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Location: Jackson & Ypsilanti Office
UNIFIED-HIV Health and Beyond (UHHB) is seeking qualified candidates for a Housing Specialist at its Jackson and Ypsilanti locations. UHHB is a multi-service organization for persons living with HIV. The Housing Specialist provides housing resources and assistance for people living with HIV/AIDS and their families. The Housing Specialist works as part of the UHHB Care Team and coordinates housing services with case managers and outside providers of affordable housing and housing related services.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide continuum of care services to persons with HIV/AIDS including but not limited to: intake, referral, assessment, coordination, monitoring, reassessment, and follow-up.
- Ensure optimal client care by seeking out, initiating, and participating in individual and case management team supervision.
- Enter housing services data into the Homeless Management Information System.
- Collect data and assist with report preparation for funding sources, including HOPWA and the Office of Community and Economic Development.
- Follow UHHB clinical and operational Standard Operating Procedures.
- Assist clients in locating and maintaining housing, including permanent housing placement.
- Create links with other housing related agencies in the community in a collaborative effort to reach long range housing solutions for agency clients.
- Assist clients in applying for subsidized housing including Section 8 and Community Public Housing programs.
- Enter clients into the HOPWA housing certificate program, based on established criteria
- Prepare housing and supportive services plans for each person entered in the HOPWA certificate program and perform routine follow-up with each person in the program.
- Attend housing related community meetings to maintain and build partnerships.
- Transport clients in own vehicle to medical appointments.
- Non-Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Other duties may be assigned.
This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
Communication - Communicates well both verbally and in writing; Able to read and interpret written information; Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; Listens and obtains clarification; Responds well to questions; Shares information and ideas with others;
Collaboration - Develops cooperation and teamwork while participating in a group, working toward solutions which generally benefit all involved parties. Required to attend monthly housing meetings to maintain this collaborative effort.
Innovation - Develops new insights into situations and applies different and novel solutions to make improvements.
Interpersonal Relations - Develops and maintains effective relationships with others; relates well to people from varied backgrounds and in different situations; shows understanding, courtesy, tact, empathy, concern, and politeness.
Continuous Learning and Self-Development - Proactively investigates new perspectives, attitudes, and behaviors, and takes steps to evaluate and improve performance.
Education and/or Experience
Bachelor’s degree in Social Work, Psychology, or related field and/or minimum 2 years in human service field required. Familiarity with local, state and federal housing programs desired; Excellent written, verbal, organizational and time management skills required. Skills in the area of data analysis and quality assurance preferred. Must be able to function independently and be able to work well with individuals from a variety of socioeconomic and multi-ethnic groups.
Must be culturally sensitive to the LGBTQ community.
Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Ability to write simple correspondence. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization.
Basic computer literacy required, particularly in Microsoft Word and Excel.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
Must have legal authorization to work in the United States of America.
Driver’s License with no restrictions
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
Please provide a cover letter when submitting your application.
Interested? Contact Us!